Flynet Telnet Recorder Quick Instructions
The Flynet Telnet Recorder has no provided help–it is designed to be a simple proxy application which intercepts user’s Terminal Emulation sessions on a standard Telnet socket (no SSH!) and records their interactions with a host.
The goal of configuring the Telnet Recorder is to specify a local listening port (23 is the standard, but watch-out for other Telnet listeners), as well as the target host and host protocol. Once the Telnet Recorder is ready and listening, you then need to create a new connection definition for the user’s terminal emulator. If possible, copy an existing connection definition, then change the target IP address and port to localhost:23 (or whichever port ends-up being defined for the Telnet recorder).
To install and use the Telnet Recorder:
- Download and install:
- Run the Flynet / Telnet Recorder from the Start programs shortcut
- Update the target host address to the IP address for the Customer host, and select the appropriate protocol as the host protocol
- OK the settings and, optionally, close the statistics window: an icon will remain in your lower-right system tray, with occasional status “balloons” displaying each time a session is started or closed.
- At the user’s desktop, to perform a recording, in PCOM or whichever terminal emulator you use, change the connection or copy to a new connection definition so that you can define the host address as “localhost” if on the same PC as steps 1-4, or the PC’s address where steps 1-4 were performed (these can be different PC’s as long as there is IP addressability between them).
- You can either make a copy of the “standard” connection or temporarily change the target host address, depending on the capabilities of the terminal emulator.
- Try a session: connect to the host, logon, disconnect and check the recorder’s statistics window for any errors. If no errors are displayed and if the host connection worked fine, all is well! Otherwise, please contact Flynet or Inventu for support
The resulting files should be in: