Flynet Viewer 2016DN Enhancements and Fixes
- Introducing Profile-Based Configuration
- Further Continuous Updates, Enhancements and Fixes
Flynet Viewer Base Product and Components (Version: 5.0.358 November 14, 2018)
Profile-Based Configuration Support
Introducing a whole new way to manage the definition and configuration of Host Definitions, configuration of the FVTerm Terminal Emulation Web Application and the new FVTerm Session Connection Profiles.
- Accessed with the CFGAdmin.htm file found at /fvterm/macros/cfgadmin.htm
- First Tab on the CFGAdmin now offers a checkbox Profile-based Connections which when checked and the Apply Changes button is clicked, will extract the information combined in the registry and the FVTerm web.config to populate the Profiles folder with a set of json files, one describing the Top View and then one for each host definition in the web.config
- CFGAdmin.htm will then reconfigure with new tabs for
- General Settings
Profile control–profile mode can be turned-off (it is not a one-way conversion)
Run New Host Wizard Button
Run New Profile Wizard Button
- Web Server
Interactive entry, selection and checkbox settings for most entries previously managed with direct editing of the FVTerm web.config file, with integrated help and dynamic feedback on changes and impact
- Host Connections
Interactive entry, selection and checkbox settings for entries related to a host definition. Shares with the Administration Console in managing the registry settings, but in a far easier and dynamic format. A New Host Wizard is also available, which steps the administrator through the act of defining host connection details along with an interactive screen that connects and provides feedback on selections.
- Web Terminal Emulator Profiles
A new definition, the Profile is based on a Host Connection Definition and provides many new attributes that used to be either globally defined in the web.config file, or awkwardly defined in web.config using a combination of underscores and other cryptic directives. In profile mode, the tiles a user clicks on to make a connection is now based on a profile instead of a host entry in the web.config. A New Profile Wizard makes it easy to create a new profile while seeing the feedback live of CSS, Font and other selections for a terminal emulation session.In addition to the Profile, a new Element, organized in a tree view and as tree-based folders, is the Profiles View, which provides the ability to organize multiple profiles inside of Views, which can in-turn contain other Views.Here is an example of the Profile Editor:
- General Settings
Flynet Viewer Emulation Service and Runtime Framework (Version 5.0.358)
- Tweaked keyboard unlock handling to handle rare cases where timing and arrival of buffers lost a screen update to the client.
- Added logging of a TLS connection request from a host when TLS is required but not configured at the Viewer Server.
- Subscription-based licenses now actively monitor the subscription status–updating the Administration Console status messages daily. Past versions only set the status on startup of the service. As many customers run their Viewer servers for months at a time, this could lead to a lack of correct information. Event log information and warning messages are also issued daily as the subscription approaches the anniversary date. If the subscription expires without an updated status (using FVLicense.exe to refresh the subscription), the number of available sessions will be reduced significantly until such time as the subscription is renewed and refreshed at the server.
FVTerm Web Terminal Emulation Feature
- New startup of the client SCTerm.html page that no longer loads an aspx page into an iframe as part of initialization–it now calls a configuration AJAX-JSON call to pull all relevant configuration in a cleaner, faster approach.
- When Profile mode is active, there Tiles in the Connection menu now can include both a View Folder as well as Profiles that the user can click-on to drill-down into a view folder or connect to a profile. To the user, the clickable Profile tiles look identical to the current (non-profile) Host connection tiles (more details below).
- With Profiles mode, it is now easy to have multiple profiles for a single host, organized in a view specifically for enabling different Terminal Types (like 3270 43 rows by 80 Columns) so that users that need different terminal types have an easy way to connect.
- A Profile View (including the “Top” or default View) can now specify that the icons in the bottom of the emulator screen can be a larger size for both touch and normal devices.
- Profiles-based menu tiles now can have colors set in the Profile configuration–a View can have different tile colors than the default, and individual profiles can have different colors (both background and text).
- In Profiles mode, on connection to a Profile, the cosmetic and other settings for the profile are loaded into the browser. User changes to fonts and colors are now per-Profile, not global. This enables different colors to be set easily for different connections / Profiles.
- A New Multi-Session “Sessions.html” page is now provided as an alternative to the SCTerm.html page. This is only supported in Profiles Mode and provides an easy page for starting and viewing 1-4 Sessions, tiled or arranged based on the browser window’s geometry. The Sessions.html page saves a user’s selections making it easy to launch a set of sessions with a few clicks of a mouse.
Setup and Installation
- FVTerm backups now backup with numbered backups, up to 5 files, so that customer changes are better preserved if the setup is run a number of times before recognition of a missing change.
- The following modules are no longer installed by default but are generally available and can be provided on request:
- ViewerLibPools4.dll and ViewerLibPools.dll (Pooled Sessions Management Assembly- for applications utilizing pooled sessions)
- FSCComRef.chm (Programmer’s Reference Help File)
- UserGuide.chm (Obsolete developer’s Guide)
- TechnicalGuide.chm (Back-level guide to building applications)